Tax Information


Tax Deadline is April 15, 2014

ISS understands that the tax filing process is confusing and we are here to help! Filing your taxes correctly is very important; failure to do so can impact your future visa and/or status requests in the U.S. Each spring International Student Services will provide limited income tax assistance for international students, and their dependents. This assistance will include workshops, GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP), and tax appointments. Please make sure you are signed up on the ISS Listserv, follow us on Facebook, and Twitter for updates and information.

All non-immigrant international students and their dependents that were present in the U.S. during any part of the calendar year 2013 are personally responsible for filing tax forms to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Filing tax forms is required whether or not you and your dependents worked in the U.S., gained income in the U.S., or received a taxable scholarship or fellowship in 2013. Many, although not all, of our international students at Texas A&M University are considered nonresident aliens (NRA) for tax purposes. International Student Services (ISS) purchases tax software each tax year to assist with filing the correct forms for those students who are nonresidents for tax purposes.

If you are going to work and be paid by Texas A&M University (student employment or assistantship), TAMU will need to determine how much in federal taxes you should be paying on your salary. In order to do this, you need to be sure to process your employment, scholarship, and fellowship information through the GLACIER System. GLACIER will assist your payroll office in determining your tax residency, and properly applying any tax treaty benefits you may be eligible for. Please do not confuse GLACIER through the payroll offices with GTP which is administered by ISS.

Important things for International Students to know:
  1. International students in nonimmigrant status (i.e. F-1, J-1, etc.) and their dependents DO have to file a tax form with the U.S. government for each tax year they are in the U.S. regardless of whether they earned any income; and
  2. Most international students are NOT PERMITTED to submit their tax returns online; and
  3. Most international students should NOT utilize outside tax preparation services found in the community.

In the event that you have made a mistake and have filed using the wrong forms or an off campus service, please either e-mail or call 979.845.1824 to make an appointment.

If you have additional questions or need further assistance please e-mail .

Volunteer Opportunities | Online Letter Request System
Maintenance of these website resources is partially funded by your Student Service Fee.
© 2002-2008 All rights reserved, Texas A&M University Trademark | Webmaster | Maintained by International Student Services

Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 77843