Funding Information for J-1 Exchange Visitors

Exchange Visitors must demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to cover their expenses while in the United States.  Financial support may come from a variety of sources including the Exchange Visitor’s personal funds, an entity in their home country, a U.S. government agency, Texas A&M University, or any combination of these. Note that personal funds or funds from family/friends are not acceptable as the sole source of funding unless your visit at TAMU is less than 6 months.

Sources of funding should be sufficient to cover living expenses while the J-1 Exchange Visitor lives in Bryan/College Station: 
  • J-1 scholar or student intern: $2000 per month
  • J-2 spouse: $550 per month
  • J-2 child: $300 per month for each child

Note that these amounts do not include expenses associated with health insurance and travel.

Funding that is not from Texas A&M University should be evidenced by a letter of financial support. 
Acceptable supporting documents providing sufficient financial resources are:
  • Official bank statement and bank letters should be dated within the last 6 months and must have the bank official’s signature, name of the account holder, and the final balance in the account 
  • Official sponsorship letter from the home government or institution should list the scholar’s name, state the award amount, and dates of the award
  • If funding comes from family members, a support letter signed by the family member must be provided