Emergency Preparation


The purpose of this webpage is to serve as a guideline for actions you can take to prepare you and your family in case you experience a personal (i.e. physical or mental) emergency.


Important Documents

Keep all of your important documents in a safe place (in your home, at the bank, and/or electronically) and let someone you trust know where these documents can be found. If possible, have documents translated to English:
  • Banking institution(s) used, account numbers, balance in accounts
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport & other immigration documents
  • Social Security card
  • Car title
  • Overall list of all debts and assets (i.e. accounts, credit cards, etc.)
  • Copies of medical records
  • List of prescription medications
  • Proof of vaccinations
Always carry these important documents with you.
  • Photocopy of I-20/DS-2019, passport, visa, I-94
    • You may carry any one of the following versions of the I-94 card: A copy of the front and back of the paper I-94 card, most recent United States admission stamp in the passport that states F-1/J-1 and D/S, a copy of the electronic I-94 card
    • When you leave the Bryan/College Station area, you should bring your original immigration documents in addition to the photocopies
  • Any other visa/immigration papers
  • Health insurance card
  • Driver license
  • Texas A&M University ID
  • Car registration and insurance card

Payable on Death Form

  • This form allows you to indicate the beneficiaries of your bank account(s)
  • You should complete such a form and provide it to the bank when you set up your account(s)
  • Ask for this form even if bank does not offer it
  • If no beneficiary is named, your family will have to go to court and hire an attorney to access your money upon your death

Organ Donation

  • You can register yourself as an organ, tissue and eye donor in the State of Texas, which means that after you die, specific organs and tissues you select will be donated to individuals in need
  • Learn more at https://www.donatelifetexas.org/

Visit Student Legal Services to create and file the following documents:

Living Will (or Advanced Directive)
  • Indicates your preference for specific treatments (i.e. life support) if you cannot make decisions for yourself
Durable Power of Attorney
  • Designates someone to make business decisions and actions on your behalf (i.e. pay rent, buy/sell items, sign name to contracts, etc.), which continues beyond incapacitation
Durable Medical Power of Attorney
  • Designates someone (relative or trusted friend) to make life-or-death medical decisions for you if you cannot, which continues beyond incapacitation
  • A will is a legal document showing how your property should be distributed and who should become the guardian for your children after your death
  • If you are single and have no children, you should not need to create a will unless you own property (i.e. a home) or you do not want your assets to be distributed evenly among your parents
  • If you are married and/or have children, a will is highly encouraged
  • If you have children, you should name a guardian (to raise the child) and a trustee (to manage the child’s money) in your will.
  • It is best to complete your will in the State of Texas, even if you already had one done in another state or country.