COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions for Graduated International Students

Is there any flexibility in extending grace periods for students who have been unable to depart the United States after completing their academic program due to travel restrictions?

Unfortunately, no. Departing the U.S. before your grace period ends is the best option. If you are having difficulty arranging your departure from the U.S. due to flight availability and cancellations, ISS recommends the following:

  • Contact your home country’s Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. for assistance.
  • Consider other destinations outside the U.S. you may be able to travel to if you are unable to travel to your home country.
  • Apply to transfer to another U.S. educational institution within your grace period.
  • Apply for an I-20/DS-2019 to pursue a new academic program at Texas A&M University within your grace period.
  • Apply for post-graduation work authorization within your grace period (if eligible).
  • Consult an experienced immigration attorney about changing to another visa status within the U.S. Information on how to locate an immigration attorney can be found at Finding an Immigration Attorney within our resources page located at