F-1 Passport Renewal

All persons with non-immigrant status in the United States are required to have a valid passport at all times. A valid passport is a legal document issued by the home country of a non-immigrant that permits travel to the U.S. along with a valid visa. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months into the future. Please note that a valid passport does not guarantee entry into the United States; however, a valid passport along with other required immigration documents enables a non-immigrant to travel to the U.S. Port of Entry to request entry into the United States. As a non-immigrant, you must adhere to the terms associated with your status. A valid and current passport is required for all F-1 and J-1 students. Failure to have a valid passport could impact your immigration status. ISS may not be able to process any new request for you until you renew your passport or show that you are in the process of renewing your passport. 

  • You may be able to renew your passport inside the United States at the local Embassy or Consulate of your home country or you can renew through your home country government. You must contact your home country government for specific instructions on how to renew your passport.
  • Students with a valid, unexpired visa in an expired passport may still use that visa if they have the old passport. Students must remember to carry and present the old passport along with the new passport when traveling.
  • For a list of foreign consular offices in the United States, visit the website of your home country’s diplomatic mission or the U.S. Department of State website: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/consularnotification/ConsularNotificationandAccess.html

International Student Services is not required to maintain records of your dependents’ passport, once you have completed the dependent check in process for them. While it is not required, it is highly recommended that you provide ISS with a copy if they renew their passport. If your dependent has renewed their passport please submit a copy of the picture page and/or renewal page as per the program instructions.