ISS purchases SPRINTAX to assist international students at Texas A&M University to complete their federal income tax forms. Once the software is available, ISS will email all international students the current tax year’s Access Code and instructions for utilizing SPRINTAX. SPRINTAX Access Codes used in previous years will not work for utilizing the software for the current tax year. SPRINTAX is typically available by the end of February each year.
Sprintax is NOW AVAILABLE for use in filing 2016 tax returns.
Please do not share the SPRINTAX Access Code with anyone else.
to access ISS's handout, which will guide you through the process.
SPRINTAX vs. GLACIER
There are two websites that international students at Texas A&M University may need to use related to taxes:
GLACIER Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance
is a system that allows Texas A&M University to collect information and make decisions regarding how much you should be paying in taxes based upon many factors that you input. You do NOT file your tax return through GLACIER Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance. If you are employed on campus, the information you input into GLACIER determines how much of your paycheck is withheld for tax payment purposes. For assistance with how to enter your information into GLACIER Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance (https://www.online-tax.net/glogin.asp
), please ask your employing department's payroll office or firstname.lastname@example.org
. ISS does not have access to this system and therefore we are not the best resource for advising how to use it.
is an online service that ISS purchases for international students to use. This software helps to prepare the tax forms that will need to be printed out, signed, and mailed to the U.S. government’s Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Sprintax representatives and ISS should be able to assist with most inquiries you may have about this system.
- View the Sprintax Instructions PDF.
- Sprintax will ask you a series of questions to assess your individual tax situation.
- Sprintax will determine whether you are considered a resident or nonresident for tax purposes
- Sprintax will determine whether you need to file a State tax return in addition to your Federal tax return. If you do, Sprintax will generate the State tax return for you. Note: Sprintax will charge you a small fee to generate State tax return forms.
- After you’ve entered all required information, you will reach a “Finished” page, which summarizes your “order.” After you enter the Texas A&M Access Code, your “order” will update to reflect that the federal tax return and forms are FREE.
- If Sprintax prepared a State tax return for you, you will be assessed a fee that must be paid at your own expense online.
- Once complete, Sprintax will generate your individualized tax return documents.
- Print the documents generated by SPRINTAX, sign them where required, add the supporting documentation listed in the instructional sheet, MAKE A COPY FOR YOUR RECORDS. Having a copy for your records is extremely important! After making a copy for your records, mail the packet to the IRS. DO NOT mail the instructions page of the PDF - this is for you only.
- SPRINTAX does NOT send anything to the IRS on your behalf. All information you enter can be saved and edited at a later date. If you are unsure about a response, enter your best guess or leave it blank and then return to SPRINTAX later to complete it. Remember, the final PDF is based on the information you enter. If you make any changes, be sure to generate a new PDF.
- If you need to modify or reprint your tax return, simply login to SPRINTAX at www.sprintax.com/log-in.html using the Password and UserID you selected at the time you created your SPRINTAX User Account. Do not create a new account.
Preparing to Use SPRINTAX
- Review the ISS Tax Information webpages: http://iss.tamu.edu/Current-Students/Taxes
- Compile all immigration documents for you and any dependents (passport, visa, I-94, I-20s/DS-2019s, etc.).
- You will need to know all dates on which you entered and departed from the U.S. Referring to your travel documents (i.e. flight records) may be helpful as well!
- Compile all tax-related documents. If you did not have any income at all during the tax year (January 1 – December 31), then you may not have any tax-related documents. If you did have income, make sure you have received all related tax statements (i.e. W-2, 1042-S, 1099, etc.).
- W-2: If you were employed at Texas A&M, you can find your W-2 in Single Sign On (https://sso.tamus.edu/) (HRConnect – My Payroll – My W-2 Information).
- 1042-S: If you received taxable income from Texas A&M, you may have been issued a Form 1042-S. You can check for this in GLACIER Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance (https://www.online-tax.net/glogin.asp) (This is NOT SPRINTAX!).
- If SPRINTAX determines that you are due a refund of taxes you already paid during the tax year, you will have the option to have this refund sent to you as a check, you can set it up to be directly deposited into your bank account, or you can apply the refund to next year’s tax return. If you choose direct deposit, you will need to know your bank account number and routing number. If you have a checking account, both of these numbers can be found on one of your checks.
Sprintax Payment Information
- After you enter all required information into Sprintax, it will generate a total cost for the service.
- After you type in the access code that ISS provided to you, the cost for your federal tax forms for the current tax year along with Form 8843 for you and any dependents will be waived. If you are only filing your current federal tax forms and have requested no further services from Sprintax, the software will be free for you to use. Again, you will not see the $0 until you enter the current year access code!
- If you plan to use Sprintax for any of the following additional services, there will be an associated charge at your own expense:
- State Tax Return: $25.95
- FICA (Social Security / Medicare) Return: $15.95
- ITIN Application: $15.95
- Prior Year Tax Return: $35.95
- Amended Tax Return: $90.00+
Assistance with SPRINTAX
International Student Services Advisors and Staff are NOT Tax Professionals or Certified Public Accountants. ANY ADVICE PROVIDED IS INTENDED FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY.
- Sprintax Online Chat System
- If you have a question at any time while you are using Sprintax, click on “Need help? Ask Stacy now” for online assistance with a tax professional.
- You may also call or email Sprintax directly: