Applicants whose degree is on the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) Designated Degree Programs lists, available for review at https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/stem-list.pdf
. The degrees are listed using Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) codes developed by the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics. ISS has no role in determining which CIP code corresponds to each major or which majors are eligible for the 24-month extension of OPT.
- Applicants must have been granted Post-Completion OPT and must be in legal immigration status.
- Applicants who have accrued less than 90 days of unemployment during their initial Post-Completion OPT.
- Applicants who will be employed in a position directly related to their field of study and commensurate with their education level.
- Applicants who will be working for an employer that is enrolled in E-Verify. For more information on E-Verify, please visit http://www.uscis.gov.
- Applicants who have not received more than two previous STEM extensions of OPT.
- Applicants who have previously earned a STEM degree at an SEVP-approved institution and have not yet participated in a STEM Extension for that degree.
Students must not exceed 90 days of unemployment time before applying for the 24-month STEM extension.