All non-immigrants in the United States are required to have a valid passport at all times. A valid passport is a legal document issued by the home country of a nonimmigrant that permits travel to U.S. along with a valid visa. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months into the future
. Please note that a valid passport does not guarantee entry into the United States; however, a valid passport along with other required immigration documents enables a nonimmigrant to travel to the U.S. point of entry to attempt entry into the United States. As a nonimmigrant, you must adhere to the terms associated with your visa type.
A valid and current passport is required for all F-1 and J-1 students. Failure to have a valid passport could impact your immigration status.
How do I renew my passport?
What to do after Renewing your Passport
- You may renew your passport inside the United States at the local Embassy or consulate of your home country or at an Embassy outside of the United States. You must contact your Embassy or consulate for specific instructions on how to renew your passport.
- Students with a valid, unexpired visa in their expired passport may still use that visa if they have the old passport. Students must remember to carry and present the old passport along with the new passport when traveling.
- For a list of foreign consular offices in the United States, visit the website of your home country’s diplomatic mission or the U.S. Department of State website at http://www.state.gov/s/cpr/rls/fco/.
- You should notify ISS that you have renewed your passport as soon as possible after receiving the renewed passport.
- To update your passport information with ISS, submit a copy of your renewed passport in the ISS Portal. Once received, ISS will update your passport information in your student immigration file. For more information on how to use the ISS Portal, click here.
- ISS monitors the passport information of our current students each semester. If it is discovered that your passport is expired—or soon to be expired—ISS will contact you for more information regarding the status of your passport renewal. If the passport of an F-1 or J-1 student has already expired, a registration hold will be placed on that student’s account until ISS receives a copy of the renewed passport. It is best to be proactive and submit a copy of your renewed passport when you receive it to avoid having a hold placed on your account.